What competence have happened if, before to a 1950 FIFA World Cup Brazil™, a Indian Football Association had left behind on a preference to repel from a tournament? They would expected have revelled in their first-ever coming on one of sport’s biggest stages, potentially won a compare or two, and combined a whole era of football lovers behind home.
However, their preference stemmed from a ask to play in unclothed feet, and when that was refused, a organisation chose not to participate. Subsequently, as a Indians have ceaselessly struggled to validate over a years, football’s form has remained disappointingly low in a republic that is though spooky with sport.
But that conditions is gradually changing, and in 2017, football will be a usually foe in city for several weeks, as India plays horde to a FIFA U-17 World Cup. No fewer than 23 teams will transport to a Asian nation, where they will try (while wearing shoes!) to get their hands on a shining trophy.
FIFA.com has all we need to know about a tournament, that kicks off this weekend.
Dates: 6 to 28 October
Participants: 24 teams, representing FIFA’s 6 confederations, have been divided into 6 groups of four
Format: The tip dual sides in any organisation and a 4 third-placed teams with a best annals will allege to a Round of 16.
History: This is a 17th book of a competition; a initial one was hold in China in 1985 and a many new took place in Chile in 2015.
Need to know
* Nigeria, who have emerged winning from a eventuality on 5 occasions, including a final two, were knocked out in a African qualifiers. Switzerland, who won in 2009 though missed out in 2011, were a final reigning champions to humour a same fate. Africa will instead be represented by Mali, who reached a final final time around, as good as Ghana, Guinea and Niger.
* Four former champions are in a hunt for a prize in India, namely Brazil (1997, 1999 and 2003), Ghana (1991 and 1995), Mexico (2005 and 2011) and France (2001). Aside from Nigeria, Russia (1987), Saudi Arabia (1989) and Switzerland (2009) are a 3 other ex-winners who will be absent in 2017.
* For a initial time, a Oceania Football Confederation will send dual member to a U-17 World Cup. New Zealand have done several prior appearances, though New Caledonia will be creation their FIFA contest debut.
* Much courtesy will be paid to a performances of England, given that their girl teams are enjoying something of a purple patch. Over a summer, a Three Lions cumulative a FIFA U-20 World Cup title, won a UEFA European U-19 Championship, and reached a semi-finals of a UEFA EURO U-21s. In addition, a players set to contest in India were beaten finalists during a UEFA European U-17 Championship in May.
Three reasons to follow a tournament
* It is a foe in that a destiny stars of Planet Football mostly take their initial stairs to greatness. Neymar, Andres Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Toni Kroos, Nwankwo Kanu and Gianluigi Buffon all seemed during a U-17 World Cup before going on to gleam in their countries’ comparison teams.
* It is a possibility to learn India, one of a many fascinating countries in a world. Learn some-more about a horde nation, as good as a 6 cities that will theatre a matches – Goa, Guwahati, Kochi, Kolkata, Navi Mumbai and New Delhi – in a ‘Destination‘ section. If we are propitious adequate to be in India during a event, book your tickets now!
* For a initial time in footballing history, women will be partial of a refereeing teams during a FIFA men’s tournament.
Over a past few weeks, FIFA.com has constructed a series of articles on players and coaches expected to make an impact on a tournament, a links to that can be found below:
– Jann-Fiete Arp (Germany forward)
– Soumaila Tiemogo (Niger coach)
– Yadir Meneses (Colombia midfielder)
– Tim Weah (USA forward)
– Takefusa Kubo (Japan forward)
– Cameron Wadenges (New Caledonia defender)