Afghanistan have had a torrid campaign at the 2019 Cricket World Cup in England. On Tuesday, they lost their 5th match by a whopping 150 runs but the night before, a few members of their squad were enmired in a controversy at a Manchester restaurant.
According to reports, police had to be called after a few members of the Afghanistan cricket squad became involved in an altercation when they objected to being filmed by an individual.
After the defeat to England, Afghanistan captain Gulbadin Naib was asked to respond to the incident but he said he had no knowledge. After being questioned further by journalists at the press conference, Naib threatened to leave the press conference.
“No, I haven’t, so you can ask my security officer. I didn’t know anything about him, about them,” Naib said. “It’s not a big issue for the team, for me.”
Afghanistan were impressive in the Asia Cup last year and even managed to tie a game with 2-time favourites India. However, in the ongoing World Cup, Afghanistan have been woeful. On Tuesday, Rashid Khan, their star bowler, bowled the most expensive spell in a World Cup match.
On June 18, a statement issued by Greater Manchester Police confirmed that officers attended Akbar’s restaurant shortly after 11.15 pm local time (2215 GMT) on Monday.
“Shortly after 11.15 pm on Monday 17 June 2019, police were called to reports of an altercation at premises on Liverpool Road in Manchester,” the statement said.
“Officers attended the scene. No one was injured and no arrests have been made. Enquiries are ongoing.”
Earlier in the tournament, senior player Mohammad Shahzad had claimed Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) had forcefully ruled him out of the tournament. Shahzad said he had no fitness issues and had regained fitness after a knee injury.
Article source: https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket-world-cup-2019/story/world-cup-2019-afghanistan-skipper-gulbadin-naib-fumes-with-questions-on-restaurant-row-1552121-2019-06-19?utm_source=rss