Chennai

Chennai man electrocuted after electrical pole falls near him

In the past two days, electrocution has claimed the lives of two city residents — Dheena, 14, of Mugalivakkam on Sunday and Sethu, 42, of Chitlapakkam on Monday.

Sethu stepped out of his house to feed stray dogs when an electrical pole collapsed on the street and a cable fell on him, electrocuting him.

Dheena died after stepping on a live wire while crossing a waterlogged section in Mugalivakkam late on Sunday. Local residents alleged that Chennai Corporation staff had recently dug up the place to lay electric cables for streetlights and not covered the cables properly.

Sethu lived on Kalyan Sundaram Street in Chitlapakkam. He supplied water cans to houses in the area. After finishing dinner, Sethu came out with a plate of food for the dogs. He was about to return home when the electrical pole, which was a few yards away, fell. One of the cables snapped and fell on his hand. He died on the spot, according to the police. Power was switched off and his body retrieved from the spot.

Family and neighbours rushed him to a private hospital where the doctors declared him brought dead. His body was later shifted to the Government Chromepet Hospital for post-mortem.

On Tuesday afternoon, relatives and some residents protested with Sethu’s body near a sub-station, demanding action against officials whose negligence led to the death and seeking compensation for the family. Residents claimed that they had repeatedly complained about the weak electrical poles in the area but said they had received no response from Tangedco officials.

In the meantime, an audio clip of Sethu’s wife seeking assistance from the 108 ambulance service is doing the rounds on social media. The staff at the emergency response centre reportedly refused to dispatch a vehicle saying that they cannot transfer patients to and from a private hospital. Officials of the ambulance service said they were looking into the issue and trying to trace call records.

Article source: https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/man-electrocuted-after-electrical-pole-falls-near-him/article29443547.ece

Loading...

Best Wordpress Plugin development company in India     Best Web development company in India

Related posts

Chennai Corporation to raise ducks, hens to fight house flies

Times of News

A ‘disturbance’ that we can’t do without

Times of News

Transperson elected to Loyola College students’ union

Times of News